Monday, December 10, 2012

A Series of Fortunate Events

I think I've asked for a pony for Christmas ever since I was able to speak (well, that first Christmas I wanted a cow, but that's another story). My parents knew better than to make empty promises just to get their daughter to stop asking for a horse, so instead they side-stepped the issue, showering me with horsey accoutrements, driving me diligently back and forth to lessons several times a week and waking up at the crack of dawn to braid my pigtails and chauffeur me to horse shows. My "passing phase," however, quickly matured into a full-fledged obsession as I continued through high school and college, training and exercising horses for friends and competing intercollegiately for Lafayette College. When I graduated and moved to Chicago to pursue a Masters in Medical Illustration I feared that my riding would have to take a hiatus. However, even there I was able to find respite in the form of Noble Horse Theatre, an equine musical performance stable right in the heart of the city.
Me, Cowboy and Andy after a Noble Horse practice
After earning my degree I moved back east to Providence, RI to be with my boyfriend, Dan. He was finishing his doctorate so I, unable to immediately find a job in my field, opted to freelance while working full time as a receptionist for a local veterinarian. My quest to find a horse to ride/lease was short-lived as I was lucky enough to almost immediately discover Lucy - a then 4-year-old OTTB - through Craigslist of all places (kids, don't try this at home)! Her mom and I formed a quick and lasting friendship and will forever be bonded by our shared trials and tribulations in our quest to transform Lucy into a successful event horse (Kate maintains a fantastic blog about Lucy, by the way, which you can check out here).
Me and Lucy




Fast forward to mid-October: 

Dan had earned his PhD earlier in the summer, but was having difficulty finding viable job prospects in desirable areas so he was working at home as a full-time job hunter.......to save money we relocated from Providence to Bristol movng in with his dad, which put me an hour away from both my job and Lucy.......and my seemingly "sure-thing" illustration job in Kentucky, which I had been scouted for early last year, had turned into a "sure-thing-once-we-get-enough-money-to-start-which-may-be-quite-a-while," leaving me perpetually on hold.....

All in all it was at this fantastically unfortunate time that my good friend sent me the following text:

"Hey. I have a really nice, fancy 5-yr-old Irish TB...for free."

Usually I would brush a suggestion like this off without a second thought - after all, if I was looking for a free horse I could get ten of them off the internet in a second. Plus I had Lucy! But for whatever reason this text got to me and I couldn't stop thinking about the possibility. I forced myself to go to bed that night and not respond until morning when my head was clearer but, as I'm sure you have guessed, no matter how much my rational brain tried to shut this crazy idea down I found myself typing back "What's his name?"....

I went down to Pennsylvania to "look" at the horse the weekend that Superstorm Sandy was rolling up the coast. Charlie was out of shape but in great health, well-built and just about the sweetest horse I'd ever met. Let's just say it didn't take much convincing; he'd won me over without even trying. To make a long story short, his owner was a friend of my friend and owned several fancy horses. With a job that took too much of her time away from them, she was looking to downsize her crew in order to give the rest of her horses more quality time and Charlie a chance to really be something. I was sold.

Me and Charlie on our first ride together
While he weathered the storm at my friend's house in PA, I spent several weeks going over the finances to make sure this commitment was truly possible and researching countless barns in the area until I finally found the right one (wow are there some scary ones out there). It was going to take some sacrifices but I knew in my heart that this was one of those opportunities in life that I could not pass up. Then, this past weekend I (finally!) made the 6-hour road trip down to PA with the help of Kate, her husband and a rented trailer (thank you Tourbillon!) to pick up my new baby. 

Hey guys, what's up?

Exploring the new digs

It's going to be an exciting and life-changing ride, I'm sure, and I still can't quite wrap my head around the fact that after 25 years I'm finally a horse-owner, but I can't wait to take it all in and see where this road leads!

22 comments:

  1. So very happy for you! Charlie looks like a great guy and is lucky to have you. Looking forward to keeping up with your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how exciting! I bought (or rather, started buying - thank God for understanding coaches and payment plans) my first horse when I was 21 and she was a yearling. Now she's 4 and a half, finally officially "mine"... it's still kind of surreal to think that I have my very own horse.

    I'm looking forward to reading about the adventures you and Charlie get up to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found my way over here from Lucy and Kate where I have been a long time lurker. Welcome to the club of red thoroughbred geldings! It sounds like Charlie is a sweet heart and I'm definitely going to be following along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your new adventure! Charlie looks like a doll and I'm sure you'll have way too much fun (and success) with him :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you through Kate as well :) Congrats on Charlie- he is adorable! I love a red TB too haha...

    You should add a follow button so we can follow your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Follow button added! Thanks for letting me know it didn't automatically appear :)

      Delete
  6. :) I have a thing for big red TB boys. If you ever need to send him west... Congrats!! He looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's a beauty and looks like a sweetheart. I'm sure you'll be great together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He has quite the adorable face. I have a soft spot for all TB's, so i'm looking forward to your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! Found you through Kate and Lucy! I can't wait to follow along with your journey...I have a greenie too so I'm always interested in what other's are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a long time reader of Kate & Lucy's blog, and definitely plan on keeping up with yours as well. Much congratulations on your beautiful new baby! I've never been so happpy for a complete stranger :) Looking forward to reading more about your adventures with Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charlie looks like a really good guy! Congratulations! (I'm a follower of Kate's)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for all of your support! I, like Kate, am happy/sad about everything but am beyond excited to see what every new day will bring :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting! Looking forward to reading more about you and your new guy as you get to know each other!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Being a horse owner is really something special and your post reminded me of how lucky we truly are! Enjoy as your relationship with Charlie grows, and I can't wait to see what you guys to together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm from Kate and Lucy's blog too. :-D Congrats on your new horse ownership! I don't currently have one myself, so I follow blogs such as Kate's (and now yours) to get my fix. Well, some people say I have a horse and ask where his saddle is all the time (he's a Great Dane) LOL I tell stories about him, along with other nonsense LOL in my blog. Anyway, looking forward to reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lauren! I found my way over from Kate and Lucy's blog. Congratulations! I know how happy and excited you must be! Can't wait to read all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on your new horse :) I came over from Kate's blog. I had the pleasure of riding Lucy when she was three, and I've been following Kate's and your progress with her on the blog. I'm excited for you and Charlie and look forward to reading your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. He has a unicorn stump on his handsome head :):) congrats! Get an email sign up so I don't miss your posts! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have a unicorn stump! And the email button has been added so you can follow along :)

      Delete