Friday, December 14, 2012

First ride in Rehoboth

Last night I headed out to the barn with Dan for my first ride on Charlie since bringing him up here. I actually wasn't quite sure what to expect. My barn manager called me on Wednesday to let me know that my gentle giant apparently caused quite the scene during turn in that day, running around like a bat out of hell with his tail and head in the air all stallion-style, getting all the other horses riled up and bucking and snorting like a maniac (they managed to take down two electric fences in the process but luckily the whole main paddock is wood fencing). What?!

Apparently he was great all day and fine once he was in his stall but something obviously got to him outside during evening turn in. Geez! So anyway, I wasn't sure what to expect but I bravely tacked up and hopped on in the indoor where a little girl was taking a lesson in one of the ponies ("dear god don't let me get put through any shenanigans that would scare the s*#% out of her mother who was standing ring-side"). Charlie obliged like a gentleman and was actually very good. He snorted a little at some equipment down one end of the ring and was a bit strong, but no funny funny business. Months off, new barn, cold weather and he didn't try to buck me once. What a great horse!

Me, on the other hand, I need a definite tune up. I am so out of shape and trying to get used to my new horse and new saddle at the same time is not working out so well (my other close contact saddle didn't fit him at all so I had to get a new one kind of spur of the moment...gahh more money!). I think it will just take time, as it does technically fit both him and me, but it's a different feel than what I'm used to.

I did have Dan take some pics and video but haven't gotten a chance to load them up yet. When I do, I'll post them.

8 comments:

  1. Yay Charlie! That's great how the barn manager called you to tell you how he was doing. Not a lot of people do that. Usually owners have to call and the response is, "He's fine." Haha! Glad things are going well! Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a guy! Nothing like riding with a pony the first time out--I'd be so nervous. :) Glad it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Charlie, that doesn't sound like you at all.

    I wonder what set him off. Oh well, I am glad he settled down and behaved for your ride! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well at least he was good for your ride! I would be a wreck riding a new horse who had just caused a commotion in a ring with a little girl. But I have bad luck so I'm sure I actually would end up scaring her mother, or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great first ride! I think you got yourself a good guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes time to get used to a new saddle but you get accustomed it becomes an old friend. Glad you had an uneventful first ride!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might as well feed new horses money by the handfuls. I need a new saddle for Simon and he's going to be a hard one to fit... lovely! He sounds like a gem though. I love when they pleasantly surprise you like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great first ride! :)

    ReplyDelete