Sunday, January 6, 2013

An explosion of obstinance

Throw away any progress I had claimed in my last post. Yesterday Charlie was a completely disrespectful jerk and (lucky me) Kate had come to visit and got to see the whole thing in it's by-far-the-worst-he's-ever-been glory. I apologize in advance for the really long post but I want to document where we currently are so that (hopefully) I'll be able to look back on this in a few months and say "look how far we've come!"....

As there were a lot of people at the barn yesterday and it was a nice sunny day, I thought we would try the outdoor ring to let Charlie stretch his legs and get out some energy and then practice some more in-hand work. By the time we reached the gate he was jigging and anxious to go (the horse trotting in the adjoining paddock didn't help). No biggie, I was patient, trying not to make a big deal out of things but also keep an assertive attitude, asking him to stop and wait several times before proceeding. Once we reached the gate he tried to push me out of the way so I gave a sharp tug back on the halter, which he responded to by popping backwards with his head sky high. I made him back up several steps then walk forward again and wait a respectful distance away while I swung it open.

Halfway through the gate Charlie decided it was time to take off and he nearly pulled me off my feet. Unacceptable. Determined not to let him take advantage like that, I tugged the already taut lead back hard as soon as I felt him going, planted my feet and said "no!"...that just set off a full blown explosion. He not only reared, he was striking out at me! All I could think was how much I wanted to beat the crap out of him as now he was rearing in pure defiance and attitude; I had done nothing but ask him to stand next to me and walk quietly. Beating him, however, was not an option so the next best thing I could think of was to try to stay calm, apply strong downward pressure, try to keep my feet planted, and say "NO!" when he was up, then as soon as he started coming down release the pressure and quickly move on to something else in an attempt to redirect the energy into something I wanted to do. Rearing is not something I have experience in dealing with (in fact my trainer used to tell me "A horse that rears is dangerous and not worth your time")....well now I've got a Rearer so I'm going to have to learn how to deal with it.



Unfortunately I couldn't stop and Google how to best respond to this kind of situation while in the midst of dealing with it. One thing I was certain of was that there was NO WAY was I letting Charlie loose until he gave in and offered me something respectable. However, I felt like I was in a catch 22: keep him moving forward to prevent the rearing and deal with a horse trotting around me like a maniac or apply halter pressure and body language to slow him down and face another pissed off defiant rearing episode where one or both of us could get seriously hurt.


I realize now, after looking back on the video clips, that I could probably have been more assertive, but everything is easier to see in hindsight. At the time, I was using all my strength to keep Charlie from completely blowing me off and getting loose and doing my best to interrupt his train of thought and redirect it. After what felt like forever I could at least walk him in a straight line (this was most likely aided by the removal of the playful horse in the paddock at the end of the ring). We proceeded to march all over the ring, stopping and starting every few steps, circling in both directions, backing up, forcing him to move away from me, and (most difficult of all) stand and wait when I asked. That's all I wanted. Every time Charlie started to pick up the pace or fight me we would stop or turn. I wouldn't let him back down to the other end of the ring by the gate unless he walked nicely. (On a positive note, he was completely unfazed by the deer in the woods next to the ring. Go figure.)

We had several more rearing episodes, always in response to a repeated request for him to stop after he ignored previously soft requests. I again tried to exert strong pressure and a firm command when he went up and then release and move right on when he came down. One time, though, I caught him early before he could go all the way up and he flew backwards instead (which I guess is better than rearing) but it caught me off guard and pulled the lead right to the end so I just let go. I was sure he'd trip himself or snap the halter or do any combination of other horrible things but at this point I didn't really care.

Amazingly, it was at this craziest of moments that I saw a glimmer of sanity in my horse. Although he took off like a bat out of hell, bucking and kicking like an idiot, when he realized the lead was dangling and getting tangled in his feet he came to my end of the ring, trotted and then stopped 20 feet from me. I was able to walk up to him, untangle the lead from his legs, and unclip it without any issues. I wanted to reward him for stopping and letting me approach, not force him to then come with me, so I let him go again. I figured that at this point it was probably better for both of us anyway if he ran out some of that extra energy. He still had plenty left and it at least made for some awesome pictures (thanks Dan and Kate!):


I'm a Thoroughbred, watch me run!



Here's a short video:


Charlie continued to gallop around some more, but when I decided to approach him he let me walk up without running or turning away and put his head down so I could rub his forehead. He allowed me to grab the halter too, but I did not clip on the lead right away - I wanted him to know I could approach and leave at will and he wasn't always going to be caught. We did this approach/pet/retreat thing a few more times and then when I finally did clip on the lead and ask him to come with me I had a different horse. He still wasn't a perfect angel but we were able to actually do some of the ground exercises I had set out to do, finishing out the last 15 minutes on a positive note. Maybe he just needed to let out some steam first?

Finally walking respectfully


We survived!


I wish I knew more about Charlie's past. The little I do know is that his previous mom was a tough disciplinarian, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it makes me wonder if he really understood what he was being disciplined for or if he was just responding out of fear/confusion. She obviously got in his face when he was bad or he wouldn't fling his head in the air at any provocation and I can only assume that he's been conditioned into thinking I am going to do the same thing so, in his mistrustful and unschooled state, he feels he has no option but to rear and strike out. Plus he's not getting good turn out or work right now so the extra energy doesn't help. The good news is that I have a great support network of friends and family. While I was initially very frustrated with the whole situation, I've come around and know that ground training can and will reverse these bad behaviors. It will be a struggle I hadn't been anticipating, but hopefully it will make both of us stronger and closer in the end.

24 comments:

  1. First of all don't get discouraged or take it personally. I know that is easier said than done but I have been there. His behavior is unacceptable but if he is not getting enough turn out this is going to be a big issue. These hot tbs need plenty of time out. My guy is respectful 99% of the time but he also has the same rearing when he decides to be a butthead. The most effective tool I have learned is to move his shoulders until he submits. When he tries to get 'big' on me I have to confidently come right back at him and move his shoulders until I say so. When I first got him his behaviour scared me and understandably so. But my fear escalated the problem because I was not handling it with strong confidence. But if charlie isn't getting turned out or worked I would invest in a chain lead to get him out when you need to. You need your arm and shoulder entact. and do your ground work only when he has had a few minutes to blow off some steam. My horse is proof that a horse that rears IS worth your time. But these bloodhorses do take a certain person but they have so much to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the words of encouragement, Amy :) It is scary to have to deal with a new behavior like this, especially one that can be so dangerous. I was worried about the lack of good turnout from the start but when looking for a barn I had a choice between one with fantastic turnout and one with an indoor ring...I went for the ring thinking at least we could do some work that way over the winter when it can be so cold and snowy. Plus, at that time, the Charlie I knew was the most laidback guy ever. Who knows if it was because he was getting more turnout when I met him, or different food, or a combination of that and other things. Either way, if the groundwork doesn't help I will likely be looking to move once warmer weather hits. I have ordered a rope halter for him that I think will do as much or more than a chain might. We'll see how that goes, and I'll try your suggestion of moving his shoulders around. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Well it's too bad that he was rearing and being so disobedient but the pictures and video are definitely amazing! Unfortunately I've never had experience with a rearer, but I will say that no turnout is always a major issue - especially when it's colder and snowy. You can tell from the video that he definitely appreciated his little run to get the energy out. Hopefully you come up with something to nip the rearing in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once he had a chance to run he was much better, which was my plan in the beginning: let him run around and goof off and then, when he had a brain again, start working. Unfortunately his bad behavior took precedence and I had to deal with that first and it wasn't ideal by any means. Oh well, I learned some things and have a plan for next time. Plus I'm glad to have the pictures!

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you've gotten plenty of unsolicited advice on this already so I'm just going to wish you luck and say that I hope you get to the root of this and do so safely. If you ever want input, let me know and I'd be happy to offer my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm open to any suggestions at this point. After all, each horse is unique and what works for one may not work for all so I'd rather have a wide repertoire of tricks up my sleeve :)

      Delete
    2. It sounds like you have the right idea with the rope halter. I think you need more leverage on him (a chain or a rope halter or a bridle) so that he CAN'T pull away from you.

      A lunge line would be helpful so that when he starts pulling, you can 'release and reel'. If you sort of 'drop him' when he pulls, he won't be able to out-tug you, but with a lead rope, you run out of rope to do it in. The idea is that you give as soon as he plays up, then reprimand him (the reprimand depends on the horse), then reel him back in and go back to work like nothing happened. He'll learn he can't get away from you and that acting up is unpleasant, and you'll be safer.

      It would probably also be a good idea to carry a dressage whip so that you can get him OFF of you when he barges into your space.

      Most of all, I'd like to see you wearing a helmet around him on the ground.

      It sounds to me like Charlie is used to being able to get people to let him go run around by acting up. It may be a good idea to get him used to going out to the paddock, then turning right around and coming back in. If he learns that he doesn't get turned out until he stands like a gentleman, it'll give him incentive to stop with the antics. By letting him go right after he played up, you accidentally rewarded his bad behavior by giving him what he wanted (play time!) He needs to learn that the way to get play time is to be a nice boy on the ground.

      You are right that every horse is different, and I don't claim to be an expert on your guy's situation just from a handful of photos. I just thought I'd offer my two cents.

      I deal with a lot of problem horses for a living, and thinking about how to equip yourself to handle the situation AND how to reward the behavior you want and discourage the behavior you DON'T want can be a good start. Just remember that horses learn from the release of pressure and that a horse can't fight with you if you give him nothing to fight with. I try to water it down to making the right thing easy and the wrong thing unappealing. That's easier said than done, of course, especially when a bad behavior catches you off guard and/or puts you in danger.

      Delete
  4. We are here for you! Maddy and I talked today. She's going to do some extra research this week and put some ideas together for you. Do you have a leadrope with a chain? I can pick one up for you before we come on Sunday if you need me to. The consignment place was closed by the time I got there yesterday, and it was closed today, so I will stop tomorrow and check out the coolers for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have one yet so if you see one at the consignment store when you stop in and want to grab it for me that would be great.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, I feel your pain sista! Grayson has been an idiot the past week...he reared in front of me three times yesterday. And this is a horse that has NEVER EVER reared with me on the ground with him. He's been temporarily moved by himself and I think he's on a bit of a power trip. Still bums me out but the one thing he has taught me is they go through phases and "things" from time to time...ya it sucks but you'll (we'll) get through it and it's always a lesson and makes us better horsewomen! :)

    That being said, he looks AMAZING in that blue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would wear a helmet when working with him in the future, but that is just me. :-) I am sure you will work through this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there! You have some solid advice here that doesn't really require my input, but I just want to encourage you to stick it out. A young tb+limited turn and no work is a recipe for that behavior.

    Word on the street is that cuna used to rear when he wasn't leading on trot sets, but he hasn't even offered with me. I think they do outgrow it as long as it isn't confirmed behavior. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wandered over here from Kate's LJ via her blog, and read up and looked at the pictures you posted, and might try and offer a little advice.

    Get a 14 foot horsemanship lead line. I use them exclusively with my horses as regular lead ropes because I think the 8 foot lines are just too piddly arse too short to be effective as training tools. My Haflinger was a butthead at times and had picked up a bad habit of dropping his head, getting it in front of the person leading him (subject: me) and shooting off. It took ground work, a 14 foot line (because he thought he'd hit the end of it at 8 feet and didn't realize that I was still holding on to the last 6 feet) a leather track halter and a stud chain. But these days, my farrier calls him "the reformed guy". He might not have been big, but he was strong and I was being put at risk until we fixed it.

    A longer lead rope would help (or a full out lunge line like Dom suggested). I just love having a longer line for simply handwalking and leading because it helps keep a personal space bubble around me without having the horse too close.

    And on that score ... looking at the pictures of you leading him, you want him further back. Right now, his head is in front of your body. In plain old equine body language, he's leading you. You want to be leading him. I put my horses 3-plus feet back, and they are not allowed to cross that imaginary line (that's really helped with the bolting Haflinger issues) and establishes that I'm in charge and I'm going to make the decisions. That in turn helps with their attitude and they're less likely to try and do stunts like bolting, etc. to try and take over as a leader.

    A longer rope will let you drop your hand away from his chin and further down the rope away from the clip. I tend to hold my rope with my right hand about 3 feet down the rope (the horse is about 3 feet behind me) with the extra length folded end over end in my left hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have gotten some great advice. Houston went through a period where he was doing this to the man that takes care of him at the boarding facility I am at (never to me until recently) and I had to try to figure out how to break him of it.

    I have found that I was safest when I was at Houston's shoulder- he couldn't strike out at me, run me over, or step on me because I wasn't in front of him. Obviously this was a process though because when he was being a bulldozer I had no control. I did ultimately end up carrying a dressage whip with me for awhile. I never "beat him" with it. I just simply tapped until he moved away from it if he was in my space. I had to be very careful though bc I didn't want him to be afraid of it and it was more to tickle him and say hey! I'm over here! Lunging him really helped us- Houston became much more respectful of my voice commands and personal space.

    Also I love the stud chain- IMO it is perfect because when I don't need it I don't have to use it but if he is being a headcase I have enough "bite" so to speak to bring him
    Back down to earth.

    Good luck! I am sure you will work through this and in a few months look back and say you can't believe it's the same horse!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Naughty boy! But it sounds like you handled it well. I would have done the same thing: keep the feet moving and the mind thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You handled this much better than I ever could!
    I look forward to following along and seeing how you two get past this!

    PS...in the video, the donkey in the other paddock mirroring Charlie was just too much! I kept giggling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg that donkey cracks me up too. So cheeky and cute! I want one :)

      Delete
  12. I know he's new to you, which brings with it some uncertanties, but from someone who has raised a horse with his exuberance, sometimes it is wise to know when to pick your battles. Insisting on obedient and safe/sane behavior is wonderful, but if your (athletic/energetic) TB isn't getting enough turnout and it's cold and snowy outside, it may not be prudent to ask of him what he cannot give without first "blowing off some steam" as they say.

    I would consider what's in the deck of cards before setting expectations for his behavior. Try to understand things from his point of view and choose carefully when to pick your battles and how far to take them.

    I love him. He's got POWER and what a stride! Even in the snow, when he's being careful, I can see so much potential for sport! Can't wait to see the partnership you build. :) Be safe, be firm but fair....you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but is allowing a horse to run loose in an arena a common training tool? You mention in your prior posts that you let Charlie run/play in the indoor and the outdoor. I was always taught that a horse's field is where he runs/plays and therefore riding in his field should be avoided and an arena is where a horse works so no running and playing there. Honestly, he seems like a very clever guy so perhaps he has already begun to associate the arena with free time?? Just a thought. I admire you immensely! He seems like a very promising prospect, and I think you are up for the challenge! All horses, especially young OTTBs have their crazy days, and I hope that the days to come are more positive and productive for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally hear you about the work-in-the-ring/play-in-the-field idea, and don't get me wrong I would do that if I could. However when Charlie's "field" only really allows for him walking around, I am inclined to let him blow of steam and run around wherever he is able to, even if that means using one of the rings. It's not an ideal situation, and yes it may be breeding some associations that I'd rather not be there, but I have to make do with what I've got right now and I still think it's probably better than not allowing him to play and run at all...

      Delete
  14. Mostly when they act out, they are just confused. What am I doing? Why am I doing this...it's a natural reaction, especially for an OTTB who has a start unlike any other horse out there.

    My friends horse is showing successfully at Prelim, and when she first got him off the track he would do this and act like a total asshole every single day when she led him to turn out. They just have their quirks, you learn why and how to explain things to them as time goes on.

    You will get there. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh he's just a stunner!! :)
    Lots of great advice listed above, and I totally agree with Dom, get yourself a whip to extend your size and keep him out of your space. You may not have to use it but it could prove helpful to have, if you need.
    I also totally agree with a rope halter (I think more so vs chain)for communication. You may have to be a bit firmer than you are naturally, but in the end, as you progress, things will get soft. That was one thing I had (have!) a hard time with. I want to coo and cuddle but there are many times where he's asking ME to be the clear leader, and I'm missing it which turns into confusion, defiance and disrespect.
    You will find your groove :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have gotten some great advice... keep your head up!

    I second (or third or fourth haha) the chain. When I first got Henry I used one and it gave me a little more power- these big and young OTTB's are much stronger then us and we need some help sometimes :)

    BTW he is beautiful! I am sure he and Henry would have a hay day playing together! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a OTTB mare with a very assertive ( to put it nicely!) personality. On days when she was fresh or had limited turnout, she would rear on the line. What helped her was having a chain. Usually, I run it over her nose, but very very seldomly, I have used a lip chain on her. While a chain may sound harsh, it will teach them that this behavior is 100% not okay. I like rope halters, but sometimes stronger aids (chain) are needed. Plus, what's great about the chain is that when they're behaving, it doesn't come into play. They only feel it when they are pulling on the lead. Also, to give you some hope, rearing on the ground doesn't always mean they'll be rearers under saddle. My mare has never done it while I'm riding. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete