Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Charlie gets the short end of the stick

Arrgggh today was one of those days where the training horses were all feeling stubborn which means, since 3 of the 6 we currently have in training are drafts, it was quite the workout for me. Although I worked with each one until they were doing what I wanted them to do, by the end of three hours I was physically exhausted and really frustrated, and I had completely lost my drive to ride my own horse. That sounds horrible; it's one of the worst parts of training, that sometimes my own horse gets the short end of the stick :(

Charlie probably would have been perfectly fine, but experience has taught me that if I am in a less than chipper mood he'll pick up on it and I really didn't want to start a fight over something we didn't need to fight about. We both need positive experiences like we've been having. Plus, if he acted up at all I think I would have run the risk of flailing or falling off because my arms and legs were like jello by that point after dealing with forcing turns, serpentines and transitions on three separate two thousand pound bohemouths. 

The rest of the days this week are supposed to be just as nice weather-wise as today. Hoping to be in a better mood tomorrow so that I can devote some quality time to Charlie.

No comments:

Post a Comment