Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Little Irish Spring Goes a Long Way

With all the hot weather Charlie has pretty much been confined to his paddock 24/7, so it's no wonder he got a little bored:

Gahh!
Now this is totally unacceptable, and Charlie is not usually into chewing on things, so I wanted to make sure we nipped it in the bud before I got myself into any trouble with the barn owner.

I had heard of several different remedies for wood chewing, but since I didn't have my Bitter Apple Spray handy I decided to go for the tried and true (according to multiple blog posts) Irish Spring Soap method. I knew Kate had tried it with Lucy (which actually failed miserably), but so many other people had had success - and it was such an inexpensive fix - that I decided it was worth a try.

What's that you got there, mom?
Charlie didn't seem to turned off at first as he immediately leaned in for a nibble....

Mmmm...mints??
Nevertheless I coated the board all over, grinding it in as much as I could and hoped for the best.


Three days later the wood seems no worse and there is still bright green Irish Spring residue coating the gatepost and no fresh teeth marks.....I think that's a success!

1 comment: